We all have them and it seems like there's no way to get rid of them. Well the good news is: there are ways to minimize the appearance of dark eye circles (without the use of make-up). However, the bad news is: majority of people suffer from dark eyes due to genetics and products alone can't completely make them disappear.
On the bright side, let's look at the remedies that can help reduce the appearance of those "raccoon eyes". First, I've listed the at-home remedies that can help with this problem, then I listed the items that you can buy over the counter (at Cedra!) to speed up the process -- especially if you do not have time to make your own concoction!
1. Almond Oil
Almond oil is a great natural ingredient that is very beneficial for the delicate skin around your eyes. Regular usage of almond oil will help fade your under eye circles. In addition to almond oil, you can use vitamin E oil to eliminate dark circles under the eyes.
- Before going to bed, apply a little almond oil over the dark circles and gently massage it into the skin.
- Leave it on overnight.
- The next morning, wash it off with cold water.
- Follow this remedy daily until the dark circles disappear.
Cucumbers have skin-lightening and mild astringent properties that help fix those raccoon eyes naturally. Plus, they have a soothing and refreshing effect.
- Cut a fresh cucumber into thick slices and chill them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Put the slices onto the affected skin area for about 10 minutes. Wash the area with water. Repeat twice daily for about a week or more.
- Another option is to mix cucumber juice with lemon juice in equal amounts. Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture on the affected skin. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash it off with water. Follow this remedy daily for at least one week.
3. Raw Potato
There are natural bleaching agents present in potato that can help lighten dark circles and get rid of puffiness around the eyes.
- Grate one or two chilled potatoes to extract the juice. Soak a cotton ball in the juice and place it over your closed eyes. Make sure the juice covers the dark circles under your eyes as well as the eyelids. Allow the juice to sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse your eyelids well with cool water. Repeat once or twice daily for a few weeks.
- Instead of potato juice, you can also use thick potato slices to remove dark circles.
4. Rose Water
Rose water has incredible ingredient for skin care. It rejuvenates the skin and has a soothing effect on tired eyes. Due to its mild astringent properties, it also works as a good skin toner.
- Soak cotton eye pads in pure rose water for a few minutes.
- Put the soaked pads on your closed eyelids.
- Leave them on for about 15 minutes.
- Follow this remedy twice daily for a few weeks.
Tomatoes have bleaching properties that can lighten skin to a great extent.
- Mix one teaspoon of tomato juice with one-half teaspoon of lemon juice. Gently apply this mixture on the dark circles and allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Rinse it off with water. Follow this remedy twice a day for a few weeks. Simply using tomato juice will also work.
- You can also drink a glass of tomato juice with some mint leaves, lemon juice and salt. For maximum results, be sure to drink this juice immediately after making it. Drink it once or twice a day for about a week.
6. Lemon Juice
The vitamin C present in lemon juice can also help remove dark circles under the eyes, thanks to its skin-lightening properties.
- Use a cotton ball to apply fresh lemon juice around your eyes. Leave it on for about 10 minutes and rinse it off. Do this once daily for a few weeks.
- Another option is to make a thick paste by mixing one tablespoon of lemon juice, two tablespoons of tomato puree, a pinch of gram flour (besan) and turmeric powder. Apply this thick paste gently around your eyes. Rinse it off with clean water after 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat two or three times every week.
Note: If the lemon juice causes a burning sensation then discontinue its use.
Commercial products that you can use:
All these products can be purchased at Cedra 1207 2nd Ave, NY, NY 10065
1. Avene: Eluage Eye Contour Cream - For dark circles, wrinkles, and puffiness around the eyes. Active Ingredients: Hyaluronic Acid and Dextran Sulfate
2. Clark's Botanicals: Anti-Puff Eye Cream - For stubborn puffiness, dark circles, and wrinkles. Active Ingredients: Vitamins A, K, and E
3. Dr Dennis Gross: Ferulic Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum - For wrinkles, puffiness, and dull eyes. Active Ingredients: Retinol and Ferulic Acid
4. Neocutis: Bio-Restorative Eye Balm - For dehydration, crows feet, and dark circles. Active Ingredients: Processed skin proteins and Caffeine
5. One Love Organics: Elizabeth Dehn Vitamin E Eye Balm - For dehydration, and lift. Active Ingredients: Vitamin E and Ginseng
**Note: I recommend using a home remedy (from the top list) daily with one of the listed products above for optimal results. Always use a new treatment for 30 consistent days to see any changes.