Dry brushing is an old-age secret to healthy, supple, and hydrated skin. Due to our fast-paced modern ways, people don't want to spend extra time doing something they do not deem necessary. However, dry brushing only takes a few minutes of your time, and the benefits are worth it.
Dry Brushing eliminates the need to use a moisturizer because it stimulates the circulatory system, rids the body of toxins, and brings nourishment to the skin from the blood. Exfoliation as a whole removes dead skin, and allows the body's natural oils to surface to the skin. Always dry brush your skin at least once a week with a natural-fiber brush in the morning before you take a shower, and your skin will be soft and moisturized.
How to dry brush:
- Make sure your skin is dry and the shower is not on. Use your DRY natural brush (with a handle for easy gripping) in the tub and start from your feet going upward towards the heart (blood circulates better this way).
- Brush with 6-10 quick long strokes towards the heel, then up each leg and thigh. Do not go back and forth because that defeats the purpose of dry brushing.
- As you go up your body, brush your knees, elbows, hips, glutes, and stomach in circular motions. This is very important if you have cellulite as this tightens skin and promotes cell renewal.
- You do not need to brush your chest or neck since they are the thinest parts of your body, other than your face of course. You can use a loofah or sponge for these areas.
- After brushing, wash your skin with warm water and a vegetable-based bar soap to cleanse and hydrate your skin. Rinse off with cooler water to close pores and keep skin from drying out.
- Clean your brush with antibacterial soap and allow it to hang dry. I spray mine with a mist of alcohol after washing to kill the germs that rubbed off with my dead skin.
Tips: Skin should be stimulated, not irritated or red from dry brushing. Your knees, elbows, and heels are the toughest part of your skin, so be sure to scrub those areas really well in the bathtub, especially if you have discoloration in these areas. Apply a brightening serum or gel on these areas before your moisturizer if you need to lighten them up a bit.
Cedra Pharmacy carries 3 types of dry brushes to help you achieve your skincare goals. Ask our beauty manager which one is best for you and any other skincare concerns you may have.